N.B. tourism officials say tourism over Bay of Fundy key to ferry's survival

20:22:20 EDT Oct 28, 2006

SAINT JOHN, N.B. (CP) - Local tourism officials in New Brunswick say they need to boost travel across the Bay of Fundy, after a ferry to Nova Scotia was saved from being cancelled.

Bay Ferries Ltd. of Charlottetown blamed declining passenger numbers and high fuel costs for its decision to stop the run between Digby, N.S., and Saint John, N.B.

But the company will now use $8 million over two years from Ottawa, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick to keep the ferry service running. Details of a tentative agreement will be announced Monday.

Margaret Totten, tourism manager for the City of Saint John, told CTV News there needs to be more focus on increasing traffic during the off-season.

Totten says more Nova Scotians and New Brunswickers need to travel to ensure the ferry's long-term survival.

"What we want to do there is make sure that we encourage both Nova Scotians and New Brunswickers to take weekend trips to the other side," said Totten.

"It might be to come to Saint John for a cultural weekend or to see a Sea Dogs (hockey) game - it's an untapped market."

Matt Wallace, who takes reservations for the service, told CTV News he had already started looking for a new job.

"This job is my source of income," said Wallace. "I go to school right now and it's hard to pay for, so I need the job. It's my livelihood."

© The Canadian Press, 2006

CP